Re: General Questions

In a message dated 4/7/01 4:46:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> What are some different methods being used to secure the secondary of the
>  TC, to the surface that the primary is mounted on?

Wade,

I always construct a wooden post attached to the bottom of the
secondary.  This post fits into a wooden socket in the base table of
the coil.  A handwheel turns a screw which contacts the post through
the socket, and holds the secondary at a particular height.  To change
the coupling, I loosen the screw, lift the secondary to the proper height,
and tighten the screw again.  This makes it very easy to adjust the
coupling.  For my recent 8" by 33" secondary, I made the post 2 3/4"
diameter x 12" high, so it is very strong and steady.

>  Is the the secondary exhausted of air? I mean, both ends of the secondary
>  are capped, correct? And is the air inside removed, pressureized?

Many folks like to cap both ends, and some find it helpful for stopping
sparks which may occur inside the secondary.  In my coils, up to 65"
sparks, I have found it unnecessary to seal the ends.  You can look
right though my forms from end to end.  I often place just a bar of
wood rather than a full disc at the secondary ends.  In any case,
the air is never removed or pressurized.  Tesla coils can be
very very simply constructed.

>  Is the angle of the windings on the primary critical to the operation of
>  the coil? And if so, in what way?

It's not critical, but the spacing between primary and secondary it
critical to obtain the correct degree of coupling.  That's why I like to
use the post and socket method I mention above.   I used to use
a 15 degree inverted cone primary, but now I just use flat ones.
Other factors of TC construction are much more important.
Sometimes with coned primaries, the sparks from the toroid swoop
down and strike the primary.

My website is at:

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

At my site, I mention a type of small spun toroid that is available, but
I have to change that.  I have only one of these left, and I don't plan
to make any more.

John Freau