Re: Q's ? Q's ? Q's ?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

HI Sietze,

On 8 Apr 01, at 23:07, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Sietze by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <s.van.de.burgt-at-hccnet.nl>
>

> About operating a coil in a high vacuum
>
> > If the voltage is high enough it will become a vacuum emitter I
> > expect. In fact, it might well gain a net charge through emission
> > rectification (can lose electrons but not much else).
> >
> How high does the voltage need to be to let it become a vacuum emitter
> ??? Is it possible to do the same with a VTTC ?

The voltage would depend on the radius of curvature of the discharge
surface. I couldn't give a definitive figure. Someone esle might be
able to.

> > > 2. Is it possible to operate a coil on a higher frequency than it
> > > was designed for. I mean Mhz instead of Khz or maybe even
> > > Giga!hertz? Would it just burn up more quickly or do nothing
> > > because of hysterislus (how do I translate that right?). Is is
> > > posible to make a coil for that specific purpose?
> >
> > Short answer - no. It won't behave as you'd expect at any frequency
> > other than its natural 1/4 wave frequency. At higher harmonics, it
> > will develop voltage antinodes along its length. It would present
> > complex impedances whose identities would vary according to
> > frequency to the drive source.
>
> Is it possible to design and Build a Coil specifically for the Mhz or
> Ghz band ? It doesn't need to spark, it just needs to build a high
> potential.

In a sense, any unmatched transmission line of some sort might be
regarded as a resonator. The Corum's notes show a link-coupled cavity
resonator but I can't remember which frequency it was running at.
Certainly far higher than a traditional wound helix.

Regards,
malcolm