Re: Ground box

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Dave,

On 9 Apr 01, at 23:00, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <davep-at-quik-dot-com>
>
> Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Ray Robidoux by way of Terry Fritz
> ><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <robidoux-at-basystems-dot-com>
>
> > Hi Malcolm,
>
> > Thanks for your explanation, but I am still confused.
>
>  Likewise.  Runs counter to my experience, but I'll
>  not debate the observations.
>
> > My experience does not agree. I am using an 8" piece of
> > braid right now in my primary. It is the wire that
> > forms the connection for my tap on the primary down
> > to the SG. I have touch this many times, while tuning
> > for example, and have found this piece of braid to be
> > STONE COLD. I have NEVER found this braid to be even
> > the slightest bit warm, but ALWAYS as I have said above
> > "stone cold".
>
> > Also your explanation of how current, "has to hop from
> > one strand to another", makes me wonder about stranded
> > wire in general. In a standed wire don't those strands
> > have to "duck and dive under each other along the length",
> > as well.
>
>  Not usually.  Take the insulation off a piece, carefully.
>  Have a careful look.  The strands spiral predictably
>  and in a controlled fashion around each other.  They
>  do not duck & dive.
>  (use a large ga wire, or a magnifier on small gauge).

Agreed.

> > That would seem to put stranded wire in the same
> > category as braid.
>
>  cf above.
>
>  An exception (i think) is proper litz wire....)

About 2 cu in each. Static gap. Runtime about 30s. It was not the
heaviest braid available but having seen the effect in action, I
wouldn't use braid simply because connections do seem to deteriorate
over time. Well in excess of 50% (and generally closer to 80%) of all
faults I deal with in electronic eqpt (and I service a lot every day)
are due to connections of one sort or another.

Regards,
malcolm