Re: REAL CAPACITOR (where can i buy one?)

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

> Hi Drew, you want a good indestructible cap?  Get barium titanate
> doorknobs!  These things rock!  I run them for 60 minutes at a time,and
> if stacked properly they will NOT overheat or drift.  So forget about all
> the hate mail you will get about the barium titanate caps drifting when
> hot, just stack them properly and they will exceed all your expectations,
> they rule!!!!!  Stack them properly for your coil and you will have a
> reliable easy to use and interchangeable bank that will survive any and
> all power that you put into them.  And if stacked properly, they will
> easily exceed any rating of your power supply. I have still yet to see
> anyone on the list that can run a set of other kinds of caps for 60
> minutes at a time on their coils without overheating.  All I get is, well
> gee wiz, who needs to run a coil for a 60 minute period!

	I've had very good luck with these devices myself (they have very low
series resistance), but have never had enough to "stack them properly".
In the beginning I lost a couple due to over heating, but learned from
my mistakes and don't run the coils long enough for tht to occur.  I
dissected the failed capacitors and found that that the ceramic had
cracked, eventually resulting in a low-resistance short.  I also
experienced detuning due to temperature change.  If one had enough
capacitors to hook them in series parallel so as to achieve the desired
capacitance while keeping the voltage across each one low enough, that
they would indeed run forever.

	Botom line is that they're a good way to start if you can get them
cheaply enough.  However, if I were starting over I'd probably build
some form of MMC, if for no other reason than "everyone's doing it".

Ed