Re: Newbie with a few questions...

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Mike,

I must have missed the first post or two (not sure what power source or
values your using), but I put your
coil specs into JavaTC and ended up in a tuning range of 5.5 to 5.7 turns
on the primary using your 0.008
to 0.009uF guestimate. I know your primary is 8 turns, but not sure where
your tuning at. Trial and error
tuning will work just fine and can help approximate your cap size. My gut
feeling is that your coil will
be a bit finicky in the tuning arena (because a small change in inductance
causes a large change in
frequency).

Again, not sure of the power and therefore I can't say what a sparklength
should be. With sw caps, make
sure there isn't carona eminating. A lot of power can leak there.

Regarding toroid size with your 2" coil. I personally like to keep the tube
width (cord) slightly smaller
than the secondary diameter. This keeps the secondary's radius of curvature
smaller than the toroids to
help prevent possible problems with sparks exiting the top of the secondary
windings. Given the right
conditions (top load height, voltage, etc) this may occur. This is a little
something Tesla mentioned in
one of his later patents (although for slightly different reasons).

Sorry I missed previous post. I've been in computer hell with yet another
pc crash (managed to get it
fixed tonight but my harddrive is dying fast).

Take care,
Bart A.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gary Abusive by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gary_abusive-at-hotmail-dot-com>