Re: NEW IDEAS FOR A PRIMARY

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "will dork by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><vcdmasta-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>

>Hello everyone,
>
>I am now considering the use of flat coils of copper stripping for a
>primary.
>The only problem i see with this would be how i would calculate the
>frequency.
>The copper i am talking about i saw at my local steel shop. It about
>.01-.05
>inches thick, but ta guess. It is about 1.5 inches wide. I was wondering if
>anyone had ever tired this, and if it they did did it is work. THe reason i
>am
>interested in trying it out is due to the reason that the flexibiltiy is
>great,
>and it is cheap. But i do not know how to get the frequency at each point
>of
>the primary please let me know your thoughts about this type of primary as
>well
>as its success. Thanks
>
>Thanks
>Will McManus

It not only works, but works GREAT! I'm a step behind you on this :) I'm
working on a 12" twin system and it will have a ribbon primary.

Bill Wysock and the guys at www.ttr-dot-com have known this for decades, take a
look at their BIG coils. Almost every coil that TTR makes has either a
helical (think spring) or a ribbon primary.

Btw, one of the largest coils on earth, the 13-M uses a ribbon primary.
Electrum (www.lod-dot-com), the other giant coil, uses a helical primary.

If you do build one, I reccomend you closely study how the guys at TTR mount
theirs. The coilform is crucial to making them function correctly and be
nice and round.

Have fun!

Duc

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1