Re: NEW IDEAS FOR A PRIMARY

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

> Primaries would with copper ribbon are uncommon but not unheard-of.  The
> main problem is in finding the copper ribbon.  Be sure that the material
> you saw at your steel shop (?) is in fact copper, and not brass, bronze,
> or brass-plated steel.  If you do in fact have a source for 1.5" wide
> copper ribbon, please share it with the list as there are many others
> that would be interested in this.  But I can't believe that copper
> ribbon can be cheaper than 1/4" copper tubing.
>
> Calculating the inductance of a ribbon primary is no different than if a
> normal wire of the same diameter as the ribbon-thickness was wound in a
> flat spiral.  Wintesla will do a fine job.
>
> Gary Lau
> Waltham, MA USA

snipperzz...

I found a way to make ( actually designed and built ) a tube masher that
converts 1/2 Cu tubing
into .85" wide Cu ribbon. It worked rather well for most of the length of
the tubing. There was
some trial and error ( getting used to how I fed it into the masher) to
produce a flat ribbon that
didnt curve in either direction.

It consists of 2 rollers ( 1 stainless steel the other Al. ) which are 1.5"
dia set into a block
of aluminum ( each roller is geared to roll at the same rate) the S.S.
roller has a width of
material removed from it to keep the tubing "in place" as it is being
mashed. Ribbon thickness
ends up being about .09" thick.

Ill put pictures on my web site in a couple of days...

now i need to find some lexan to mount the ribbon in ... plexiglass is
toooo brittle to hold this
stuff. there seems to be some "work hardening " of the Cu which creates a
springyness to the Cu.

more later

Scot D