Re: amatuer coiler (12yrs. old)

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/13/01 3:13:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> RQBauzon-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> Is it possible for an accident, misused coil or any of its components
> destroy
> all of the fuses in my house?  If so, are there any Tesla coil parts that
> can
> be used prevent this? I've never built a coil before and i want to take all
> precautions because there are lots of apartments behind my house and i
> don't
> want to get busted for EMP, RF interference, or blacking out New York    =:o

Things to prevent HFHV surges from getting into wiring and other nasty places:

1     Make sure your power supply has a fuse of somewhat smaller rating than
the circuit breaker/fuse to the socket you are plugged into.
2.    Ground your secondary to its own ground, not the household wiring or
the kitchen sink. You don't want parents grounding you!
3.    Make sure your coil is not close to a spot in walls or ceiling where
the house wiring runs through. Even if you don't arc to them, they can
sometimes pick up enough RF to screw up your PC, VCR, TV, microwave oven,
etc. Watch out for overhead chandeliers and ceiling fans.
4.    Checking for leaks in a gas line by arcing to it is also a big no-no.
5.    Put an RFI/EMI filter on the inlet side of your power controls for your
coil.

These are a few things that will make problems a lot less likely. More
sophisticated stuff is in List Archives.

Matt D.
(former Brooklyn, NY boy lost in the Hills of W.Va.)