PTs

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I have several PT's 2 rated at 14.4kV at 1kVA with a 120 primary and a whole
truckload of 2400VAC-120VAC 500VA (or are they 1K...hmmm Mark? you
remember?) and I want to test them to see if they work.

What should they read on an ohm meter?

I got an MOT and clipped off the 2 wires for the filament then connected the
sec lead around itself, still connected to the core.
I connected the primary leads in series with the 14KV PT and got......squat.
The voltage was discusting, I had to TOUCH the wires to get ANYTHING and I
coulldn't draw ANY kind of an arc. It looked like getting about 100V at
best.

Why?

In the past I have connected an MOT directly to the wall as long as I didn't
draw an arc, nothing happened. Pull an arc, couple seconds later, tip the
breaker. Tried connecting the big PT straight to mains and 2 seconds after
plugging it in, BEFORE I drew an arc, it tripped the breaker.

POO!

Why?

help, I'm confused (as usual)

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1