RE: PTs

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Christopher

Some MOT's have only one high voltage lead, because the other lead is
connected to the core; and to short the HV coil, connect the high voltage
lead to the core. Some MOT's have two high voltage leads; and to short the
HV coil, connect the two high voltage leads together. However some MOT's
with two high voltage leads look like one of the leads is coming off the
core, but both leads are insulated from the core. If you connect the outer
lead to the core, you have not shorted the HV coil. It seems like you have
not shorted the HV coil, making the primary current see high inductance
which does not allow enough current to flow to the PT.

Godfrey Loudner