Re: PTs

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
>Hi Chris,

Hi Bart :)

snip

>EEEEKKK!!! This was a lesson. You just found out why external ballast are
>used on PT's and PIG's. These are
>"not" internally ballasted transformers and will try to draw massive amps
>when connected directly without
>some type of resistance (or inductive ballast) in the circuit. These are
>known as "externally ballasted
>transformers" and are therefore seriously dangerous if you became the
>ballast. Get a variac or a welder or
>even a heater element (something) to ballast the current (hook in series as
>you did with the MOT - a variable
>ballast is nice to use obvisously to change and control the amount of
>inductive ballasting - variacs,
>welders, etc...).
>
>Bart A.

yup yup yup, I know all about ballasting. I undersatnd tha basics, but not
all the theory. I have about 10 small heating elements (Mark, what's the
specs on those? I know they're 100V) for resistive ballast, and I want to
use some of the 2400V PT's as inductive ballast. I just don't know how to
connect it to get enough of a power flow through the pig to get full voltage
and 80% amp load. I would like to test it at 1,2,5,8 and 10kVA. Help?

Thanks for the help though boss :) Ballasting is one fo those things I
understand the reasons and the concepts very well, it's the intricacies that
bugger me.

Have fun!

Duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1