Good times Bad times...

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Hi All...

As some of you have read, I have been "improving" my coil from a 14400
10KVA piggie to a 30KV 20KVA unit.
After extensive reworking, I ended up with a pig system that output 30KV (
yes I decided to go ahead with
the 30KV system despite the severe hi volt problems)

I test ran the system today/tonite with some really great results and some
disastorious ( spelling?)
endings. After spending mega bucks on Ebay and collecting ( what my
girlfriend considers to be useless
junk, she saw the contents of the boxes I recieved and which I gleefully
beamed about) tidbits of
valuable pieces-parts.

Anyway I digress...  the revamped system consists of a controller made of 2
1256D's paralled to supply
56A of power to the BIGPIG ( 2 14KV seriesed for 30KV) an inductor wired
for 60A and the SRSG and cap set
( 3 Maxwells -at- .14uF 50KV all in series for .0346uF -at- 150KV) primary is 17
turns 3/8" with 1/4" spaceing
( first 7 turns are at 45 degrees the rest are flat , pictures will be
posted on my web site in the next
day or 2) the secondary is 12.5" dia. with # 10THHN solid Cu wire on the
bottom section (( 10" worth))
and followed by #18 for the rest of the coil. Toroid is a modified 16" flex
duct cut and reduced to 14"X
45" (max dia chord X max dia.width)

Anyway... the results were fantastic. Streamers were bright and thick to a
grounded rod placed 10' away
from the toriod. The distance from the toroid to ground ( the sandy stuff )
is about 10' also. There were
many strikes to the grounded rod ( mostly consistant) and a few strikes to
the ground ( the sandy stuff
;)  ) .  I removed the ground rod and tried the system again and it looked
like I was getting streamers
well beyond the range of the original position of the rod. ( possibly 12 -
14 foot streamers). My
girlfriend said it is no longer safe to be in the yard when I'm running
this setup.. ( obviously its
running very well  ;) evil grin)

now for the bad news....  there must have been some vibration in the SRSG
and the vibration allowed the
coil setup to move off of the plywood and enter the sandy area, thus
allowing the wheel to sink into the
sand a bit. This became a disastorious ( spelling again???) event. The coil
fell over off of the primary
mount, shifting the coil main box, thus allowing the cap to fall off of the
shelf and onto the EEEKKK
SRSG. The end results are ....   1 cap with a hole in it from contacting
the tungsten electrodes, 4
snapped electrodes ( good thing I made the electrodes double sided (( all I
have to do now is flip the
trodes to the upper side )) and a toriod with a major flat zone ( from
impacting the ground) I'll just
mash it back into shape and use LOTS of Al. tape to make that repair) as
far as the cap HMMM   I do have
some scrap HDPE left over from the primary mounts just maybe I can do some
plasti-welding ;)

Did you know that when a hi volt wire is laying on plywood covered with
fine sand, the voltage applied to
the wire will move the sand away from the wire????   Really cool.... I got
a picture of it too ( gonna
place that on the web site too ...)

I tried to make the SRSG variable phase shifted ( I followed Johns circuit
diagram ) but couldnt get that
4-5 volt rise, my system only dropped voltage as the variac was increased (
Im using a 1/3hp modified
motor, 50K ohm resistor set, 280uF worth of caps, a 25A 140V variac,
various fuses and protection) I
wonder if John or Terry could tell me what component is the major factor
that shifts the phase then
possibly I can figure out what Im doing wrong here.

Other than the "fall-over" I'm reaally pleased with the over-all
performance of the coil. But I still
wonder what the capacity of a 30KV piggie running at 60A is capable of as
far as streamer length??? Is
12-14 feet my max or can I tweek it some more????

Scot D