Re: Xfmr not 3 phase

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

> Hello Coilers,

> Someone who had responded to my earlier query about the X-ray
> transformer suggested it was a three phase power transformer.

> That is definately not the case...I've seen enough of those
> to know what one looks like.  This unit has three windings
> all on the same leg of the core, and there is no symetry to
> the windings at all.

> As I'd stated in my earlier post, there is an exact 3:1 ratio
> between what I termed the primary and one of the secondaries.

	Possibilities:
	(None may be correct)
	Voltage stabilization winding, for use with an external
	cap (cf ferroresonant regulator.)
	Boost/buck winding for allowing use on wide range
	of supply voltages.
	Power Factor correction.  (one can sometimes use
	a cheaper cap by NOT connecting it to the line
	direct....)
	It's a second (auxiliary) secondary, for powering
	some piece of associated control gear...

	best
	dwp