Toys Toys Toys

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Ok.....it's time to build a serious power panel for my 120V TC setup.

I went shopping today and scrounged a couple things.

A resistor module, rated 100Ohms at 1.16Amps

It's label reads:

Gamble Industries Resistor
102C100
Ohms 100 Amp 1.16
2074 130W 8508

Ideas? Ballast?

And here's a neet one....

General Electric (may they build everything!)
Tripping Device ST-230-3
230VAC 50/60 Cycle
Burlington Iowa Made in USA
Danger High Voltage 230VAC (yeah....riiiiiight....wus)

It is a box, about 8"X8"X2"D and has a light, a button, and 4 terminals.
No other labeling.
Inside is a rechargeable battery (also made by GE, lol) a simple board, and
a big lytic cap.

What IS it? How's it work? How do I use it?

I also scavenged 6 small 4:1 PT's, each about 4" square rated at 480HV side
:) VERY usefull with the nasty meters I also acrounged.
I have meters ranging from very simple with 2 terminals to these behemoths
that have like 8 connecttions on the back. I don't have them here tight now
but I know I got some reading VAC 0-18kV, MEGAWATTS (hey Mark...that HAS to
go on the Amp :) )and a very promiceing one for Power Factor Correction (it
reads in lead-lag :) )

I'm making a refridgeorator sized cabinet on casters with every gizmo,
meter, and filter I can pack. It will be designed to supply 1-150 VAC at 50
amps (enough to handle the meanest of NST farms or PTs) as well as seperate
feeds for blowers and RSGs. After coiling for a few years now I reaise I
would like such things as the following....

Accurate voltmeters, mains, coil, and SRGs.
Dual keyswitches, both as a main panel power, and to arm the system.
A BIG emergency off that cuts power at the mains.
A BIG NASTY INDESTRUCTABLE RED BUTTON THAT I CAN HAMMER WITH THE FEROCITY OF
AN OLD TESTEMENT GOD TO WREAK HAVOC AND VENGANCE AGAINST VARIOUS GROUNDED
OBJECTS....um...yeah...big FIRE button :)This would be a momentary contact
(Deadman) setup.
Ammeters, both mains, coil, and RSG
A kV meter calibrated (by use of a multiposition switch) for the voltage in
the primary charging circuit. This would be done by putting the switch in
position A for using a 12kV NST, B=15kV NST, C=14.4 PT...etc
Power Factor meter
Wattmeter
Filtering on everything.
PFC caps for the main power out, variable setup, maybe through the use of
switches to bring different caps into the circuit.
Indicator lights....lots of indicator lights for such things as...
Ground...good/bad
Mains power good/bad (plus a meter for this as Consumers has been known to
swing the voltage a bit on a regular basis) this will tell us when we've
blown the breaker.

and whatever other things I can think of, ideas?

I will design and build a SERIOUS umbilical from the mains to the cab, and
from the cab to the coil. The umbilical will have all stranded cable, with
leads for the following:
2 leads at 6 or 8AWG for the main power (1-150VAC 50A)
2 leads at 10AWG for RSG power (1-150VAC 20A)
2 leads for AC blower power (1-150VAC 10A)
2 leads for DC blower power (1-25VDC 10A)
2 leads for DC RSG power (1-100VDC 15A) I have a serious DC motor for an
ASRG.
Ideally this will umbilical will be shielded, but I'm not sure how. The
umbilical will be 50 to 75' long.

The cabinet will be about 22" wide X 20" deep (doors) and 6'tall. Made of
steel construction, 1"tube framed, hinged front panels (2 or 3)with hinged
rear panels (2 ot 3) and dzeus fastened sides (each side 2 panels) It will
be castered and also have eyes on top (lifting) and rear handles for
manipulating it onto and off of trucks. Weight is not a worry.

There will be a variac on the power feed to the panel lights to dim them for
use in a completely dark environment. There will be an electric horn and red
strobe on top to get peoples attention and warn them before firing.

Feed to the panel will consist of some MASSIVE stranded 3 conductor cable
and everything in the panel will be grounded to mains ground. I'm thinking
of 2AWG power feeds fed from a 50A plug.

Just wait till I make the controls for the 10kVA Pig....I LOVE to
overengineer these things,lol :)

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group