Toroid fabrication?

Original poster: "David Knaack by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dknaack-at-rdtech-dot-com>

I'm attempting to come up with ideas for DIY fabrication of
a toroid for my current small coil (4x11 inch primary).  I've
noticed that craft stores carry foam toroids (presumably as
a base for a wreath of some sort) in sizes up to about 10
inches in diameter.  The outer-inner radius is a bit small,
on the order of 2-2.5 inches, but it doesn't look too bad.

Has anyone tried using one of these covered with aluminum
tape or foil, and can make a recommendation?

What I'm after is an acceptable topload that requires minimal
fabrication work.  At this time I don't have a functioning
coil, so I'm having difficulty getting the motivation to
spend much time fabricating anything superiour. :)

DK.