Re: I could cry......

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

I am very puzzled by this claim. A 12-120 NST actually puts out about
6-kv at 60-ma when in service in a neon sign, and I've disected some NSTs
and measured their iron core cross section area and that always seems to
agree with 6 x 60 => 360 watts for this example, not 1440 or 2880 watts.

I've never seen an NST whose core cross section would support its face-plate
rating kV x mA (as opposed to other kinds of power transformers).

It was my understanding (possibly incorrect...) that core cross section
determines maximum power transfer because the cross section limits the
magnetic field energy and therefore the secondary power output.

Can anyone clarify this issue?

-Peter Lawrence.