Re: mmc questions

Hi Will,

At 04:29 AM 4/17/2001 +0000, you wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering if someone could explain the setup of an mmc. I understand
> the series/parallel system, but i don not understand where i put the bleeder
> resistors.

The 10Meg resistors go across each capacitor's leads.

> Also, what is there purpose, are they to protect the cap or to discharge once
> power is shut off? Also, waht type of resistor should i be using with
> metallized poly cap with the follwoing ratings: .015 uf, 1500 vcd??? Thanks

They bleed down the voltage in about 5 seconds when the power is turned off.
Without them, the caps could stay charged... forever...

They also help equalize the voltage on the caps during operation so leakage and
corona do not cause some caps to over charge.

10Meg 1/2 watt resistors made by Yeago (DigiKey# 10MH-ND) are what I use.  I
prolly have a few hundred if you need some...

Cheers,

        Terry