Re: Control panel in progres

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><ArcStarter3-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>Hey Chris,
>
>Where do you get all that stuff?!? Especially the PTs... I'm sorta in a
>state
>of salvaging anything and everything I can find right now :-)
>
>Regards,
>
>Josh Hunsaker
>----------------------
>Denver, Colorado
>ArcStarter3-at-aol-dot-com

Simple! This is all you have to do.

1. Organize a large UET team.

2. Train Train Train in everything from Confined Spaces, High Altitude, HV,
haz-mat (Asbestos and PCBs especially), advanced first aid....etc

3. Get BIG NASTY liability insurance.

4. Find a few bankrupt old abandoned plants that the salvadge guys have
already picked over years ago.

5. Sweet talk the landlord (this took 7 months for one place)

6. Get your team in there and learn where to look and what to get/what to
leave.

7. Get stitches, tetnaus shots, and bandaids as needed.

8. When a floor opens up beneath you, learn to fall face first BEFORE your
waist goes through the hole. This has actually happened to a member of the
crew. If they hadn't, they'd be dead now, as there was a 40' drop through a
network of pipes below. Alia refuses to walk on anything but concrete floors
now in a UET situation, and I don't blame her.

You get the idea. Even with proper training, support and gear, UET stuff is
exceedingly dangerous. Yeah, it's a great way to locate gear, but you have
to look at the risk/reward ratio. Are you ok with spending a week in the
hospital for a PT?

The thing that drive me nuts is all the guys out there near surplus yards
and such, there's NOTHING like that near here. If I have a good industrial
surplus place, I'd spend my UET time on more exciteing trips (Like the steam
tunnels under campus).

I would look around your house. There's LOTS out there, if you know where to
look and how to ask. There's a LOT to be said for a smile, handshake and
sunny disposition. This is why I've never paid for an NST.

Places to look.

1. Schools, Hospitals, Universities, Churches, and any large business.

These places have more crap than they know about. Find the guy in charge of
disposal, you'd be amazed. The theatres usually have old lightning gear (BIG
VARIACS).

As you spend more time scroungeing, you'll get better and better. Keep your
eyes open. I'm a habitual scrounger, I can make a drive through Kzoo any day
and fill the truck with trash and trinkets, it's all out there, free and
(usually) legal. Dumpster diving IS technically illegal, and some places are
rather militant about it. But it's a matter of opinion, and knowing WHO to
ask.

NEVER...EVER ASK THE SECRETARY AT THE DESK. They are there for one purpose.
To shoe you away.

Find the janitor! This is a guy who REALLY knows what's going on, and has
keys to everyhting. He also doesn't care. This is a guy of (usually)
room-temp IQ who, if you know how to ask, and treat him with respect (It's
somethng he rarely sees) will do miracles for you.

The rule to scrounging is simple. If you walk in the door and start going UP
the chain of command, unless you're VERY quick witted and a smooth talker,
you're toast.

If you go DOWN the corporate ladder, you have it made.

:)

Have Fun, and don't get dead!

Duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1