Re: Fo shift issues with spark C loading? was, Tesla Coil Blunderbusses

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi John,
        I think you've made an excellent summary of all the questions:

On 14 Apr 01, at 19:55, Tesla list wrote:

> <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> Malcolm, Ed, Ken, all,
>
> Some have questioned whether the spark's capacitive loading shifts the
> coil's required primary resonant frequency.
>
> For max spark length at low power
> (27" spark), I had to tune my coil at 19 turns.  For max spark
> length at high power (42" spark), I had to tune at 21 turns.
> Clearly, something is affecting the required tune point at
> different power levels and spark lengths.  Interestingly, this
> degree of frequency shift based on my tap point position
> agrees with the assumption of 1pF per foot of spark length,
> which Terry has suggested.  I think Greg Leyh found a similar
> figure for the spark's capacitance.  I forget how they determined the
> spark's capacitance.  Was it by back calc'ing the frequency, or was it
> derived some other way?
>
> I remember that Ken H said that his frequency did not shift
> when his spark broke out of the toroid.  Considering the large
> size of his coil and toroid, the frequency shift would be only
> about 2% or so.  I'm assuming that his measurement method
> would clearly show whether a 2% frequency shift had occured?
>
> I'm trying to create an explanation in my mind that would
> satisfy both observations above.  If we accept that Ken's
> frequency did not shift with spark breakout, then the only two
> explanations I can think of are:  (1) the presence of the
> ion cloud around the toroid also shifts the frequency.  Thus,
> his frequency would have already shifted due to this cloud
> before breakout.  But if this is the case, then as the coil
> starts up, the frequency should shift as the ion cloud is
> formed and builds up.  I don't know if Ken checked for this
> effect?  (2) either the sparks do not have any capacitance,
> or if they do, it's not shifting the frequency.  I don't see why
> the sparks would not have capacitance though, or why it
> wouldn't shift the frequency if it does.  If the ion cloud does
> not cause a frequency shift, and if the sparks do not cause
> a frequency shift, then what could be creating the need for
> me to retune my coil from 19 turns to 21 turns as the sparks
> get longer?  (For each power level, I retuned for longest sparks.)
>
> It is true that the primary may need to be tuned lower in
> frequency than the secondary for best power transfer.  But if
> this is the only reason to tune lower, why would the best tune
> point vary with power input and spark length?
>
> My guess is that the primary needs to be tuned lower in frequency for
> two reasons; to set it to the lower split response, and to compensate
> for capacitive spark loading (or capacitive ion cloud loading).
>
> I do see what Malcolm is saying about the spark breaking out after
> most of the energy has been transfered to the secondary.  This would
> suggest that the best tune point should not vary with spark length,
> yet in my tests, it did.  It is possible maybe that the ion cloud C
> [...]

I absolutely buy the 1pF/ft additional capacitance figure. Perhaps
I've been guilty of muddying the waters. But I had to ask the
questions considering both the erratic gap firing and extra output
since there doesn't seem to be a solid explanation of either. At any
rate, I intend to isolate the offset tuning problem and scope it to
see whether there is a noticeable change in primary behaviour. I'll
be glad if there isn't. I will plan an appropriate series of expts
and carry them out in due course.

Regards,
malcolm