Re: questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/17/01 9:02:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> >With these specs, i was hoping to launch aluminum rings, but can barely
> >raise a foil ring 2".  what to do? more power (always an answer:)?
>
> Sounds off topic ;-)  Maybe someone can help you off-list with that.
>
> >Can I build a tc with this coil as secondary?
>
> There are a few problems.
>
> A TC needs a single layer of wire.  Your's probably has multiple layers on
> top of eacy other.  The voltage is so high that it will arc from layer to
> layer.  With a single layer the voltage can gradually build up to like
> 300kV along the length of the coil.
>
> A TC needs to be air cored.  However, you could probably remove the iron
> easily.
>
> 7" is really not tall enough.  It would tend to arc to the primary easily.
> A single layer coil naturally gets long to help this.
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Terry

Back in the dark ages, induction coils were used to feed Tesla Coils the way
NSTs are now.  It's a good way to run a TC from a car battery. Check out the
info on
<http://freeweb.pdq-dot-net/headstrong/ind1.htm>  He covers step-by-step
instructions for reproducing early 1900's induction coils, Tesla coils,
etc.etc.

Matt D.