RE: JavaTC 7.05 Program (was Space winding question)

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Bart -

I just noted that your program is not using the Wheeler equation like the
JHCTES program for the primary coil. This appears to be a problem because
the two programs do not agree when helical coil primaries are calculated.
Your JavaTC 7.06 program gives primary turns that are about 23% higher than
the JHCTES Ver 3.2 program using the Wheeler equation..

As an example of a helical primary coil the default coil for the JHCTES
using avg = 5 and coil hgt = 7 gives 14.22 pri turns. This gives 7/14.22 =
.5 c/c spacing. The JavaTC 7.06 program gives 17.4 turns (much larger than
Wheeler) and 12.68 coil height. Also, the c/c spacing is not correct. With
an input spacing of .5 the actual calculated spacing is 12.68/17.4 = .73 c/c
spacing. This also affects the inductance.

The Java program is using the Conical Primary Equations (CPE) with sin/cos
functions. The CPE is also used for finding the inductance of inverted
conical primary coils. When I researched CPE a couple years ago I found that
they did not work because they gave inductances that were too high. It
appears that the actual inductance varies only about 1% for inverted cone
primaries from 0 to 30 degrees. I decided that for the JHCTES program the
Wheeler equation for spiral primaries was close enough for 0 to 30 degree
primaries giving an accuracy of about (+/-) 2 percent. The JHCTES uses the
Wheeler helical coil equation for both the helical coil primary and the
secondary coil.

John Couture