RE: Design tool: TC-plan V 1.0

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Kurt

It would be extremely interesting to know the mathematical details which
support these programs. For example, what are the details behind Paul
Nicholson's computation of mutual inductance? Did Paul derive a rigorous
formula from Neumann's general formula for mutual inductance, or is an
empirical formula employed? Maybe Paul's program performs a numerical
integration of Neumann's formula. I am making a wild guess that Paul's
computation of mutual inductance is based upon an empirical formula derived
from a large data base. A listing of all the formulas used would be of great
interest. It should also be stated weather each formula is empirical or
derived from electromagnetic theory. I tried to work out a complete
mathematical treatment of the Tesla coil based upon electromagnetic theory,
but I immediately collided with extreme mathematical difficulties which I
could not resolve. I have not given up, but have limited my objectives.
People like Richard Quick have build great Tesla coils using little of
mathematics, but I think that the mathematics of Tesla coils is a mystery
needing explication. Somehow Tesla coilers will have to workout the details
themselves. The great mathematical physicists of the world will not work on
these problems. Thinking about the mathematical nature of Tesla coils will
not lead to tenure at a university, or will research grants be awarded to
support such work.

Godfrey Loudner