Re: Tesla Coil Blunderbusses

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Ralph,

<header snip>
> << Is there a way to use a scope to judge the quality of the SG
>  > quenching?
>
>  Absolutely! I use a digital storage scope for all powered waveform
>  observation to capture events for subsequent measurement and
>  analysis. However, it was through observation that I first reached
>  conclusions about gap dynamics and then confirmed them by applying
>  the scope. >>
>
> Malcolm,
> Thanks. I am trying now to evaluate gap quenching for my very sick
> bipolar. Am I stuck without a storage scope? I can see the ringdown
> but the scope triggering is very jittery. I cannot distinguish the
> notches or the decrement. Any suggestions?

Marginal setting of trigger sensitivity may help. Independent
triggering of the scope using the external socket may help if it can
be sync'd with the gap fires. However, there is probably still a
problem with trace persistence. I was forced to leave ordinary scopes
behind long ago with one exception - using a slow timebase an low Y
sensitivity you can measure your gap firing rate quite well.

> Maybe the university will build you a big domed-in sports arena.
> Move to Bloomington and you could use the Indiana U. basketball
> palace.
>
> Happy day,
> Ralph Zekelman

Yeah - well maybe the geek group might care to open up a NZ branch
when they are up and running. I wish! :(

Cheers,
malcolm