Are Monster Toploads Really Needed?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi all, Is it not possible that a tank circuit with an appropriately
wound coil could work without a monster toriod topload and give equally
devastating arcs?  I still stand by my statement that our coil can
produce an equal arc when tuned with a toroid, sphere, or no topload at
all.  The arc length remains the same as long as the primary is tuned for
optimum coupling.    Al.

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 11:03:40 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> Message to newbies,
>
> I would not want newbies to be misled. Most coils
> will give much longer sparks when the properly
> sized toroid is used.  I have to admit that I've never yet seen a
> coil
> that does not benefit from the use of a properly sized toroid.   To
> give just one example, my old coil that gave 40" sparks from a
> 12/30 NST, gave only 26" or so with no toroid.  My newer coil gives
> the longest sparks (42") using a 4" by 13" toroid.  If I replace
> that with
> a 3" by 10" toroid, the sparks are reduced to about 33".  Of course
> I tune for longest sparks in every case.  Of course a spherical
> topload can give excellent results also.   The bottom line is that
> not only do Tesla coils benefit from the use of a toroid or sphere
> on top, they also benefit from having the *properly sized* topload.
> There is a topload size *range* within which the results will be
> similar.
>
> Of course besides giving longer sparks, toploads also provide other
> benefits such as; shielding the top secondary turns from corona,
> aiming the sparks horizontally, giving a more spectacular display,
> brightening the sparks, etc.
>
> Cheers,
> John

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!