Protecting NST's

Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>

Howday All,

I got a 15kv/60ma NST yesterday for $20, along with 20' of HV wire. Sweet!
(saw the NST tested too!) I hear so much about blown NSTs, and I don't wanna
blow mine. So, aside from a safety gap, what can I do to protect my NST?

I hooked up the NST to my coil (a very small one) and have applied about 70%
power from my variac. I seem to get a fair amount of "backfire" from the
safety. How frequently is it ok for this to fire?

Will the NST require substantially different tuning or SG settings? I have
been using an OBIT up until now.

Thanks all

Jonathan Peakall