Re: Rotary Gap Motors/Parts- Ifno???

Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2001 10:07 AM
Subject: Rotary Gap Motors/Parts- Ifno???

> Original poster: "raven0075 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<raven0075-at-home-dot-com>

> Parts for the shaft.
> Phenolic Disk, where can I get these or can I use a grinding disk blade??
and
> modify it.
>
> Metal hubs for the motor shafts. any good websites to get these parts at?

For the phenolic (there are also many other good rotor materials you can
find at McMaster Carr, such as Gp03, which are alot cheaper) and hubs check
out http://www.mcmaster-dot-com/ do a search for motor arbors for the hubs, and
phenolic or whatever on their page.

> Franklin Electric
> 110v 1ph 1/3hp FLA 5.6 RPM 1725.no thermal protection, 3/8input shaft.  I
think
> this one is overkill.
>                             FLA??? does this stand for amps??
> These two seam to be for heavy duty use.

I think that you would be best off using this one. 1/3 horse is plenty to
spin up most rotors and stay cool. Also little bits of runout etc. from the
machining of your rotary are much less noticable and problematic at lower
RPMs like 1725 and 1800 (if your modifying this for synchronous operation
that is), than they are at 3000+ RPM. FLA stands for Fully Loaded Amps.

>  (I think I want to use this one) military used.
> 115v 60hz  1ph 1.5amp 3400rpm, its dimimensions are 3 1/2 by 3 1/2, 1/4
input
> shaft.

You may be able to use it, depending on the weight of your rotor.

Jason Johnson