Re: Spark-gap sparks vs. solid-state sparks

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Malcolm and all,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's seen this! I suspect that few
coilers have actually observed this because the required conditions are
somewhat unique. First, the coil and topload must be near the verge of
breakout, but the topload must not actually break out. The light from the
main gap should be shielded so that the dim corona and streamer flashes can
be more easily observed. And, while it's not essential for your eyes to be
dark-adapted, it helps considerably when trying to observe the faint outer
region of the discharges. I accidentally stumbled upon this phenomenon
while making a change to a larger toroid, and the system then no longer
achieved breakout. After seeing something strange (the outer portion of the
toroid was sort of "glowing"), I then purposely reduced the light to see
what was really going on. I couldn't believe the level of activity that was
going on around the toroid - it was surprisingly bright and quite
beautiful!

There's some evidence (again via Bazelyan) that corona and streamer flashes
represent mostly a capacitive load to the HV electrode, and that current
may not only be "injected" into the surrounding region when the topload is
positive, it may also be "extracted" from the surrounding space charge when
the topload polarity reverses, returning some of the surrounding space
charge back to the topload. If this is primarily a "reactive" transfer, the
impact on Q would be minimal, while still impacting Fo of the secondary...

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>