Re: General Radio W50 variac

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/24/01 12:17:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>
>
> Can anyone clear up some confusion about my General Radio W50 variac with
> which
> I am building my TC. The unit is 240 volts input and either 0 to 240 or 0 to
> 280 volts output. The current rating for the unit is stamped as 25 amps.
> Does
> the 25 amp maximum apply to the full 280 volt output or only at the 240 volt
> output? Since I don't have access to a General Radio spec sheet, I am hoping
> that someone on the list will know.

Hi Steve,

I BELIEVE that the plate rating is the nominal Input rating. (i.e., 25 x 240
= 6 KVA) However, if well ventilated, these units usually have no trouble
running 20% high (25 x 280=7KVA) on an intermittent basis. Some on the list
have pushed them well beyond that, but my philosophy is, " If you can't
afford to replace it, don't push until it smokes."

Matt D.