Re: A Little more than general questions V

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/25/01 1:51:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "David Knaack by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <dknaack-at-rdtech-dot-com>
>
> > Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
> > > Original poster: "Wade B AndB Anderson" <nabedaw-at-juno-dot-com>
> > > The Toriod.... Most, in fact all of the toriods that I've seen
> > > photos of ( with the exception of Tesla's) are donut shaped.
> >
> > A toroid is by definition donut-shaped,
>
> Well, many donuts are toroidal anyway. :)
>
> > a toroid shields the top of the secondary coil from spark breakout, a
>
> When producing a toroid, how important is it to avoid sharp points
> in the surface?  Are points on the inner areas less of a concern
> than points on the outer area?
>
> DK

The worst place to have a point is on the bottom side facing the coil (ZAP &
FRY). Points are where breakout will most likely occur at less than optimal
voltage. They should only occur where you want them (one point on outer edge
preferred)

Matt D.