Re: Maxwell cap filler plugs & oil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/26/01 10:21:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>
> I've been meaning to ask this.  I found several Maxwell caps at a flea
> market  last year.  One of them is silent when shaken and I've been
> using this with great results.  The others all "slosh" when shaken.
> I've not yet used them and they appear to be unused.  They all have a
> plastic screw that can be removed, presumably to fill or drain the oil.
> Is it castor oil that is used in these?  Where can this be found?
> Anything else I should know about topping them off?
>
> Thanks, Gary Lau
> MA, USA
>
> >When purchasing Maxwells, (I have 3), you never know their prior
> >history, ergo you never know their remaining life expectancy. It is
> finite.
> >Some have a plastic screw as a "filler plug"  these occasionally
> >leak during shipping or they leaked before shipping and weren't topped
> up.
>
> Hi Garry, All

,

    Unfilled slosh-space invites arcing. Castor oil is another one of those
pharmacy-grade laxative items that may also be available from farm supply
stores or your local vet. If you only need a couple of ounces to top it off,
it isn't too expensive. The first Maxwell I bought had the filler screw's
threads wrapped in Teflon tape. (It still leaked a little.)
      BTW if a small puddle of Castor oil is left on a painted wooden
surface for a day or so, it will partially dissolve the paint, making a
non-drying sticky goo. ( I'm refinishing 3 of the basement stairs this
weekend instead of coiling per "She Who Must Be Obeyed") :-))

Matt D. G1-#1085