Re: Inexpensive HV probes

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/26/01 6:49:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>
>
> I need to get a HV probe for my DMM so I can test transformers. Anybody know
> of some good sources or a homemade version?
>
> TIA
>
> Jonathan Peakall

Hi Jonathan!
I just finished making one. I made a string of 10 10Meg 1/2W 5% resistors
with a 100K 1/2 W on one end. input leads across the whole string,
scope/meter across the 100K only. Very close to a 1000:1 voltage divider.
Slid the whole thing into a piece of poly tubing with scope leads coming out
a split on the 100K end.
The probe was then put into a 1/2" PVC pipe with end caps and 2 side holes
for meter leads for rigidity:

<======10M-10M-10M-10M-10M-10M-10M-10M-10M-10M+100K=+=====>
                                              |     |
                                              V     V