Re: Basic TS curcuit conflict

Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>

Gary, Gregory, All,

The gap is currently set to .12" . I didn't change the gap yet, but am
going to try this morning. I'm actually more surprised that I wasn't
expieriencing these problems BEFORE as I am seriously over powerring this
setup. I have been impressed how well the system has taken it so far. While
the basic schematic is J. Couture's, I am using it with far too much power
(obits, and now an NST). While I am gathering materials for my next coil, I
still want to figure this out. I just wanna know what is going on so I can

>That you're getting racing sparks AND that you blew a tank cap may
>suggest that your spark gap is set too wide.  This would generate large
>"bangs" and result in racing sparks, and also be very hard on your caps
>(and NST).  How wide is it?

>Racing sparks are a symptom.  The most common cause of
>racing sparks is over coupling.  Too much input power
>can also cause racing sparks--how big is your power
>supply? Additionally, racing sparks can sometimes be
>cured by using a bigger top load.  Of course, if you
>are using a pre-tested design like the one from J.H.
>Couture's book, then the racing sparks are a bit
>perplexing.

All I can say is the difference is remarkable. I am going to play around so
more with both circuits and do some more careful observationns..

Thanks All,

Jonathan Peakall