Trig. circuit experiment

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

Hello Coilers,

Having had some minor surgery yesterday, I'm home today "resting" so,
I thought I'd do some experiments with the triggered gap circuit that
Terry has been doing so much with.  You may find what I've found out
to this point interesting, so I thought I'd share it with the list.

I hooked it up pretty much as he'd shown in his latest post with the
exception of no MOV's as I didn't have any on hand.  With dual-stage
Corcom filters both before and after the dimmer, and a 150 watt U.V.
lamp in place of the big power resistors, I get a nice firing of the
GMHEIC over at least 75% of the dimmer's control range.

As another list member had suggested, I used 2 caps scrounged from a
microwave oven in parallel to give me 1.5 uF. -at- 2200 V rather than a
motor run cap...the price was right.  I'm going to try a whole range
of different wattage bulbs, but it appears that the 500 watts + that
Terry was dumping in his paralleled resistors is perhaps an overkill.
I like the U.V. bulb as it doesn't spoil the lighting for watching
the streamers fly from the toroid!!!

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca