Induction motor start windings

Original poster: "Paul Arrowsmith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <p_t_arrowsmith-at-hotmail-dot-com>

A while ago I pulled out the motor from my old washing machine (50Hz 240V in
Australia) and now wish to construct a SRSG with it, don't know the HP? but
it has a 3.5 inch diameter rotor.
It has 3 windings one start and two others joined together
The start winding is switched by a centrafugal switch but there is also an
extra single pole double throw switch attached to the centrifugal mechanism
that switches from one run winding during starting to another run winding
when spun up.
When I power it up it draws lots of current, hums, and turns slowly if at
all.
I did not find a capacitor when I salvaged it unless it was mounted out of
sight away from the motor. For now I am assuming that a start cap should be
in series with the start winding and this is the problem, is this correct?
What's with the two run windings? I wonder if it has a different number of
poles for running and startup?
Hope some one with more motor knowledge than I can help.
Thank,
Paul A