CO2 on coil -at- 12kVA

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello All.

Me, Mark, Shawn, and Don coiled tonight ; ) It was too bad that the main man
Aron couldn't be there though.

Ran the coil at low power 12kVA, srsg, .1uF tank cap, 12" secondary, big
chicken-wire-over-plywood toroid. 10 turn primary, 3/8 copper.

Shawn came up with a great idea. He had played with mixed gasses and HV
before, he looked at the big coil and basically said "Hey, why not fill a
bucket up with dry ice and water, and put it on top?"

So we did. It wasn't nearly as spectacular as we had thought, but it was a
great experiment. Although we were dissapointed a little, we knew it advance
it would either be a fantastic show or it would be the same big arcs (also a
nice show if I should say so myself). We are going to pressurize the CO2 in a
bucket next time, and shoot it out of a copper pipe used as a breakout point.
Cool.

Shawn put the bucket on the ground, the output arcs followed the CO2 vapor
across the ground a ways (wind was slightly blowing), and arced through it to
the ground. Color was noticeably different in the CO2, toward the greenish
side.

I put the guys inside *yet another* makeshift faraday cage, they thought it
was way cool. Mark controlled the coil so I got to go inside, too (yeah!) I
tell you, ear protection is a must. I quickly pulled the earmuffs off when I
was inside, and wished I hadn't.

Don got some fabulous pictures of the coil arcing to ground, to side of cage,
through CO2, arcs hitting inside cage one foot from camera, and one awesome
primary hit that really takes the gold. I'll be getting them from him somehow
in the next few days, I'll put it on www.hvguy-dot-com so everyone can view. I'll
post a link here when they're up.

(MARK -- i'll get ahold of that 8" form tomorrow......you'll be rockin'
soon...look for a big cap...)

Thought you all would like to hear about the CO2 thing. BTW, we wafted CO2
past my 270VA "C-TC-1" Tesla Coil for sale...........it really didn't do much
more than the big coil did. Kindof followed the vapor a bit with some
discoloration. I'd really like to try this with argon. Or $neon$.

.......Later!

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
G-1 #1150