synchronous motor

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Cydesho-at-aol-dot-com>

I'm sure all you guys out there are tired of discussing problems with
converting motors to salient pole synchronous operation, so I apologize in
advance. I just got the armature from my motor back. I had my cousin mill
four flats in it at his machine shop. The motor is a Westinghouse ac
induction motor. It is 1/3 of a horse power and runs at 1725 rpm. It is
intended to run off of 115 VAC and draws 6.4 amps. When I got the armature
back, I put it back in the motor housing and put everything back together and
oiled the bearings. When I plugged it into the mains, it ran perfectly. In
fact, it seemed to run exactly like it had before the flats were milled into
the armature. I tested it by putting a white cardboard disc with a black band
on it and watching it under a single fluorescent bulb, and the motor is
obviously out of sync. I read much of the previous discussion about the
problems with converting a motor to sync. It doesn't seem like any of the
possible problems discussed before would be a factor here. It only has two
input wires, and is not a capacitor start type. It doesn't grind, the only
thing that I've noticed is that the motor runs slightly warm. All I can think
is that the flats are not wide enough. My armature diameter is about 3 1/4"
and the flats are 71/100 of an inch wide. If anyone can help me out here, it
would be appreciated.
                                Justin