Re: Wire length

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 8/6/01 6:13:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Dear people,
> Am designing my first coil,could anyone tell me the address of the site
> that
> will enable me to calculate the amount of wire I'll need.Thank you!
> Jesse Schwartz
> Berkeley

Jesse,
    Why not just multiply pi times the diameter (divide by 12 to get feet
per turn) and then multiply that by the number of turns you want?   I would
guess that you plan to use 24g wire if available for your first coil.   If
so, you get approx 47 turns per inch(I just measured some 24g and found it's
diameter to be .021 " giving 47.6 tpi) depending, of course on the enamel
coating thickness.
    Hope that's enough to help you.  I don't have any sites bookmarked that
have wire tables.
Mike