Re: Mystery Transformer

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Greg,

Sounds like you have a nice sized control transformer. These are often used
to step down 480/240 vac to 120 volts, or to 24 volts for for control
sections of industrial equipment (to drive relays, lamps, etc.). The
"input" side will be the "H" side. These transformers are typically
constructed with two identical primary windings, the pairs being H1/H2 and
H3/H4. By connecting the windings in parallel (inputs: H1-H3 and H2-H4),
you can run off 240 volts, and in series (H2+H2 tied together and mains
input between H1 and H4) off 480 volts. The output appears to have a
similar configuration allowing parallel or series connections. If nominally
120 vac out, it can be configured to make one nice sized isolation
transformer. If it has nominal 24 volts out, you can configure it to
deliver 6 or 12 volts (or some other voltage with a small variac on the
primary side) to drive a VTTC filament. Nice catch!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>