From: <mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>Tesla list
Date: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 07:47:07 PM
To: <mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Tesla vs. Oudin

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jake Draper by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<cybermecium2-at-home-dot-com>

> Hi, I just finished my 3.5" Tesla coil and connected it to my primary circuit
> and it gives some nice 8-12" sparks. BUT, the bottom turn of the
secondary arcs
> to the primary (the coupling is about 1") so I decided to just connect the RF
> ground directly to the primary coil. Does this make my Tesla Coil an Oudin
> Coil? Also, what can I do (besides re-wind the primary) to prevent arcing to
> the bottom turn of the secondary? Thanks,

An Oudin coil has the secondary mounted directly above the primary, as
an
autotransformer. Works in the same way of a Tesla coil. See:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tur200.jpg
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/fle18.jpg
Note the two capacitors, one at each side of the gap. In this way, the
power supply can't be directly connected to the output terminal, even
with a bad ground connection.

About your coil, verify if the secondary is grounded.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

IncrediMail - Email has finally evolved -
<http://www.incredimail-dot-com/imstampa.html>Click Here