Re: Secondary winding - all one length?

In a message dated 8/12/01 5:03:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I am a total beginner just starting to build my first coil.  I went out and
>  bought #22 wire - 2 pounds of it.  However, I bought it in 2 one-pound
> spools.
>  I didn't even think about it until I got ready to wind the secondary.  Can
>  solder the ends together to get enough turns or did I waste my money?

Yer in luck I tell ya....  :)   You can just take a jewelers file, and file
the wire to a sloping point.  file on one side of the wire only, and dont
remove the insulation on the other side.  File it flat but sloping at
an angle to create a long wedge shape maybe 1/2" long.  Then file
the other end the same way.  Fit the two ends together with the
filed portions touching, and you'll see it fits smooth with no bump.
Then fire up your soldering iron, and tin both sections.  The solder
won't stick to the other side, where there's insulation.  Thus,
the solder will stick only to the filed slope, which is what you want.
After both ends are tinned thinnly, overlap the ends, and heat the
joint with the iron, so it solders together, and you'll have a perfect
joint.

John Freau