Re: Ballast Puzzle

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but I thought transformers will 'reflect' the impedance
> of the secondary back to the primary.  Can one not ballast the secondary side
> of the the transformer to effectively limit the current of the primary?  I
> know this impedance matching is done when driving a speaker from a tube
> amplifier, but how could this be done for TC's(thinking pole pig or similar)?
>   It seems like a resistor placed on the transformer output could ballast the
> transformer without dissipating too much of the power(thinking I^2R losses).
>   Another question springs to mind as well:   If one uses inductive
> ballasting to limit the current(primary of transformer), would power factor
> correction be of use here?   If so, where would  one place the capacitor?
> between the ballast and transformer or 'in front' of the ballast inductor?
> Mike

Hi Mike  ...

yes  it can be done on the secondary side IF you have resistors that can
handle the
Watts and the Voltage ...

not too often have I seen 10KW rated resistors for 30KV .....( come to
think of it I
have never seen any :(  )

If you know of some let us know....

Scot D