Re: Triggered Gap method

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi Ted list,

Interesting idea we have near the same idea this is a par of a
private communication I send to Terry this weekend:

An other thing I plan to experiment is a flyback driver for the
trigger pulse. Here's what I have in mind; take the 120v ac put
it in a diode bridge and a kind of 5v voltage regulator the
result will be near a square wave at around 99% of the cycle on,
put that
on a logic inverter ( I don't know the real name of it ) the
result will be a short pulse at 0 and 180 degree. With that pulse
you drive the trigger of a 555 and with a proper circuit you have
a way to produce and other pulse any were between maybe 5 to 170
degree, with an other 555 you will have the possibility of
varying the wide of this pulse, finally you drive with that pulse
a mosfet who drive the alimentation of the flyback circuit. Why I
want to try a flyback trigger ? I experiment a lot with flyback
in the past, they run at 35 kHz and have the possibility of
ionizing a small volume of air with only one electrode; May be
it's possible to design a trigger gap with the trigger electrode
out of the way of the main electrode. I'll post this to the list
soon because I don't have a lot of time to experiment ( to much
work ) and may be some could be interested and could try this
faster than me.

After trying to have the zero crossing pulse the easier way I
find for now is a bridge a battery and a diode:

http://pages.infinit-dot-net/luc2/zero_crossing.gif

I post to him a drawing of the gap I plan to construct you could
see it at this address:

http://pages.infinit-dot-net/luc2/trig.SG.gif

Cheers,

Luc Benard