RE: Safety Gap, Grounding, and Secondary Questions

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Connecting the secondary base to the primary is a bad idea on two fronts:
1) It's extremely unsafe.  Should you touch a streamer or any part of the
secondary, you'll be exposing yourself to the full deadliness of the far
more dangerous primary-side voltages and currents.
2) Instead of having a true ground to "push off of", the secondary base now
has only the primary to work against.  The primary will ultimately induce
voltage spikes in your AC power lines - the only path it has to a real
ground.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Jake Draper by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<cybermecium2-at-home-dot-com>

Hi Gary,
    I don't know If it makes a difference, but my secondary is grounded to
the
inner turn of the primary. My NST case is not grounded to anything right
now.
The "pin-prick" sparks look like the secondary is about to brake down and I
put
some glue on it and it stopped so It shouldn't be a problem.