Re: Neon tube primary

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi all,
So, I guess a neon primary is not the best concept due to the high current,
but here's a twist:   I have a fairly long coil of glass tubing(extracted
from an obsolete gas chromatograph).  I have wondered if sealing a platinum
wire into one end and putting argon into the tube and then draw a high vacuum
and sealing a platinum wire into the other end.  This coil would not make an
entire secondary so I'd probably have to mount it to the top of an existing
secondary.  I suppose I could even give it a coating of insulating varnish to
increase the turn to turn insulation.
I wonder if that would work.  It would be interesting to see if it 'lit up'
while running.
Comments(aside from it being too fragile)?
Mike