Re: Where to get high voltage diodes?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 8/27/01 1:08:53 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> This still leaves me without a rectifier and I could just guess around as to
> what parts I need, or I could ask here and make sure I get tried and true
> parts. (Remember the exploding MMC dabacle?)
>
> I remember I need diodes in wheatstone config, but I think I am forgetting
> something else.
>
> The NST is a 12kv/60ma nst. Has anyone any suggestions on parts to get and
> how many of these diodes to  put in series? I would guess I would want at
> least 15kv of diodes to make sure I have some buffer, but I don't know about
> current. Maybe I need several in parallel to distribute the current so as to
> reduce over-heating. I just don't know and I don't want to guess around
> because I think I would be doomed to guess poorly.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Garry,

You may want to look into the rectifier assemblies from out of
x-ray power transformers. These multiple-series diodes are al-
ready soldered and affixed to a PCB and can usually withstand
over 100 kV at several hundred milliamps. A man in Lousiana
named Steve Flowers is always getting ahold of surplus x-ray
power supplies and often sells these HV rectifiers assemblies
on eBay. I think his opening bid is usually $19 for one of these
units and they don't usually go up too high before closing. Of
course, it would get a little more pricey if you were building a
bridge rectifier (4 of 'em). I use a couple of these for a full-wave
rectifier across the center tap ground and each hot end of two
paralleled 15/30 NSTs for obtaining around 10 kVDC to charge
my 100 uFD, 10 kV Maxwell energy discharge cap for my
quarter shrinker/ coin crusher assembly, so they will work at
voltages considerably lower than the x-ray transformer voltages
and as a matter of fact, they would be under much lower stess
than what they are designed for.

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben

PS - Steve's email address is <Sflow26426-at-aol-dot-com> and
he is a super guy to deal with. Mention my name and I'm
sure he'll fix you right up :-)