Re: Ignition coils as high voltage sources

Original poster: "Michael Rhodes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rhodes-at-fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th>

Here are two sites that may be of interest.  The first one specifically
describes using a HEI ingnition coil.

--Michael

http://www.bithose-dot-com/serfaq/sam/lasercc2.htm#cc2ignp
http://emarc.colorado.edu/faculty/david/laser/co2.html

> > Original poster: "Dan Olson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <dan__olson-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> >
> > I am in the beginning stages of building a smaller (under 100 watts
anyway)
> > CO2 laser, and I am having a bear of a time trying to find a neon sign
> > transformer to run the thing with.  I have heard of people using an HEI
> > ignition coil as a power source for these types of lasers, and being
that
> > you folks were the high voltage experts, I thought I would ask you how
well
> > such a thing would work.  The recomended power source for one of these
> > lasers is generally a neon sign transformer of about 15,000 volts by 60
mA,
> > but I have had no luck coming by one of those.  I do have a GM HEI coil
> > though, so I thought if I could get that to work, I would be set.  I
have
---snip---