Re: GB> Chaffee Spark Gap

Original poster: "Michael H Nolley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nolleym-at-willamette.edu>

> Hi
> sorry to play the dummy here, but this all sounds really interesting,
> could you run down a couple of things to a non-expert? like describe
> basically what a poulson arc is and does, is it similar to a quench gap?

    The Poulsen Arc was an early attempt at a continuous wave radio, using
a specialized arc.  The vacuum
tube, which was developed only a short time later, totally eclipsed the
Poulsen Arc, being far more
efficient and reliable.  The fact that the Arc never entered into major
usage by an amateur community also
led to its relative obscurity.
    The arc itself is relatively simple in construction, and it has certain
resemblances to the tesla tank
circuit we know of, in that it involves a spark gap and a capacitor.  The
Poulsen arc emerged out of the
chance union of spark gap radio technology and Arc lighting technology,
which utilized carbon rods and very
high currents.
    Arc modulation emerged as a possibility by accident, when Duddel
discovered that carbon electrodes,
when connected in series with a DC power supply,  capacitor and tank
circuit, made a "whistling"
noise--indicating that the usual disruptive action the "rattatat" of the
spark gap was not occurring.
Apparently, the use of carbon as an electrode intensified what is called
the "negative resistance"
characteristic of arcs.  Effectively, this means that the voltage and
current are inversely proportional.
If the voltage becomes high, the current falls, and if the current rises,
the voltage falls.  This creates
an oscillatory condition which can, under the right circumstances, be used
to create an rf signal in the
hudreds of kilohertz.  The whole goal of the Poulsen arc is to capitalize
on this effect and to create
various means by which the oscillation can be supported at very high power
levels.
    Typically, this involves using large, water-cooled electrodes of carbon
and copper (the carbon being
only necessary for the negative electrode) a magnetic quenching system
using large inductors which are