Re: GB> Chaffee Spark Gap

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi Wells,

Hydrogen represent many advantage as spark gap gas first this gas
quench really fast. In the set-up Chaffee used you have a seal
container were you distilled alcohol what I understand is after a
certain time you have pure alcohol vapor ( without air ) when you
initiate an arc chemical separation will occur ( H, O, C ) some
of these will combine with the metal electrode some will
recombine with each other ( CO2, H2O ) some of the carbon will
simply be depose on the surface of the gap ( this effect is know
for creating some problem in poulsen ) at the end you'll obtain
an hydrogen rich atmosphere without nitrogen at sea pressure. Not
sure you can use a seal cavity with this set up because as you
fire and stop the gap differential of pressure will be created. A
seal hydrogen gap is call a tyratron (expensive and need to be
really big if you used it at reasonable power in tesla service) I
think Richard Hull experiment with it. Some member of the list
experiment with the poulsen arc ( Mike H Nolly I think ) search
in the list archive:
http://www.pupman-dot-com/
A simple research on Google for poulsen arc will give a lot of
hits. Dr Duncan have a lot of information to but I can't find his
web site any more. Other have is web address???

Cheers,

Luc Benard

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Wells Campbell by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com>