Re: RQ gap spacing theory question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/6/01 7:07:17 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > I can tell you for certain that my 1st coil, which used 9 tubes, had
> > variations from gap to gap. Yes, they were close, but not what you'd call
> > micrometer level. And it worked just fine...until after two-three hours,
> the
> > oxide built up and reduced the 24" spark to 2 inches.
> >
> > Safety First.
> >
> > Ted
> >
> Hey Ted,
> Did the oxide build up evenly or was it proportional to the spacings?
> Billy
>

> Am I the only one that does not have oxide / fouling problems with RQ/TCBOR
> style gaps?  I have two of these that are about 5 years old.  They are made
> using a  section of white pvc pipe that is about 6" inside diameter and about
> 12" tall.  They have 7 pipe sections bolted and epoxied inside, in a vertical
> orientation, gap spacing about .028".  The pipe sections are made from 1"
> copper pipe (might be 1.5", can't measure them right now).  Each section was
> cut individually with a copper tubing cutter.  They are about 4.5 to 5" in
> length.  There are three legs on the bottom to hold it up off the table 2" to
> let air flow through.  The top has an end cap that slides over it which has
> had the center cut out of it on the lathe.  A small muffin fan is mounted in
> the end cap, oriented to blow air down

.  I can see that the pipe sections have been hot and somewhat discolored,
slightly bluish color in the discharge area.  I have never had to clean these
gaps.  I normally run them at 12 kv 60 ma but have run as high as 12 kv 120 ma
through them.

Ed Sonderman