Re: Jacob's Ladder

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 12/07/01 8:30 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> It should work fine but ladders generate a LOT of heat.  It may overheat
> really
> fast unless you have a large volume of gas or only run it for a short time.
> The convection currents in the gas my be "odd" in a sealed container too.
> Experimentation would tell all.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Terry
>

> At 03:17 PM 12/7/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>> I was wondering if the electrodes of a jacob's ladder could be put inside a
>> sealed jar filled with low pressure argon or helium so a longer arc could be
>> obtained from a lower powered source? This way a flyback that could
produce a
>> 1/2-1" arc might be able to do two inches and have a thicker arc resembling
>> the streamers of commercial plasma globes.
>>
>> Mark

I have used streight electrodes in a partial vacuum 1/10 atm argon/helium
4oo Amp arc with good results, but gas expansion is an important factor if
you dont want it blowing apart.
   Robert  H